Home | Crips | Bloods | Sanyika Shakur | Stanley "Tookie" Williams | Litterature | Links | Svenska

Sanyika Shakur bio

Sanyika Shakur. Revolutionary! Born Kody Scott, former gang member (Eight Tray Gangsters, Crips) in Los Angeles, California.Here is his life story and links to websites about him.

Born Kody Scott in South Central, Los Angeles, Californa, November 1963.



In the middle of June 1975, graduation day was the day of his initiation. Tray Ball, a Eight Tray Gangster Crip, had accepted and agreed to sponsor Kody’s membership.

When Kody walked next to Tray Ball, everybody stared at him, eleven years old, together with a neighbourhood gangster, known as a drug dealer and gangbanger. The walked to a shed used as meeting point.

In the shed Kody met other gangsters in the set. This night Kody was in the centre of attention and therefore got upon himself, together with GC (Gangster Cool), the car theft expert, to get a hold of a car for the nights work. While GC fixed the car, Kody stood guard, armed with a 38-caliber revolver. It took longer to get into the car than starting it.

Back in the shed they drank beer and smoked weed to worm up. Suddenly, when Kody got up from the couch where was sitting, he received a punch to his head that send him to the floor and was followed by a kick in the stomach, after he was pulled up to his feet and bombarded by punches from all directions. By pure desperation and anger he, himself, started to throw punches around. Not because it helped him very much, but to show that he had will to live that could be of use to the set.

Together with the others Kody left in the car he and GC had fixed, for enemy territory. They found the gang they were aiming for. Dedicated to finish off all Bloods, the ones who only had one shot each stepped forward first, and then the ones with multiple shots, among them Kody who were armed with a 12-caliber pump action shotgun, fully loaded with eight shots. He had orders not to get back to the car with any shots left.

Later when they where back in the shed drinking beer and smoking weed, Kody were the subject of conversation because of his aggressive behaviour.

Not until he was home alone that night it dawned on him, the gravity of the situation and suddenly questions popped into his head “Why had they been out there?” Kody slept very little that night.



1977, when Kody was thirteen years old, he and Tray Ball robbed a man. Kody turned his head and received a punch to his face, after the man tried to run away, but Tray Ball tripped him and held him for Kody. The man was assaulted and Kody stomped on him for twenty minutes. It was later known that the man had been deformed by the assault and slipped into a coma. A police officer said that the guilty was a “monster”. From then on Kody was called Monster.

B.G. to O.G.


Kody struggled for a reputation and worked hard and intense to reach the title O.G. (Original Gangster), but before one reach it there is three levels of reputation.

“1.  One has to build up the reputation for ones name, meaning for one self as an individual;

2.   One have to build ones name in relation to ones own set, so that the set is mentioned in the same breath as ones name, because they are synonymous; and

3.   One have to establish one self as a active working Crip or Blood, depending on what side of the color line one live”

(Quote from the Autobiography “Monster”)

Crip vs. Crip


In 1979, Kody’s younger brother joined the world of gangs and was named Li’l Monster after Kody. During a nine month period the number of members in the set, doubled.

At the same time, their relationship with another Crip set, Rollin’ Sixties, deteriorated. Soon a full out, violent, war broke out, also between other Crip sets, which led to the “Beirut-like atmosphere” that reigned in South Central, Los Angeles, and is still noticeable, but not as intense as it one did.

Every morning Kody got up and pressed his equipment, only thinking about making propaganda for the set.

When Kody was nine years old the family had moved from Crenshaw, an area in South Central, that was Rollin’ Sixties territory in 1980. One day that summer, Kody’s mother asked him to follow her to the store where she used to go when they lived there, naturally Kody protested, it was enemy territory, but she didn’t understand how complicated their conflicts were. It was about killing each other, but Kody had no choice but to follow her. To feel safe he added two pounds to his equipment, a 9-millimeter Browning with fourteen bullets in the magazine. In the store Kody left his mother because it was safer that way. On his way to the cereal section he saw an attractive young girl and walked toward her instead, when he suddenly discovered an enemy. They both reached for their belts. Kody drew first and shot, but missed, shot again and hit in the chest so that the enemy was throwed backward. Kody then shot him three more times and went to find his mother. On the way home they didn’t exchange a single look. Kody was sure he would get caught for it, thinking about all the witnesses and the Asian who owned the store knew who he was. But he was never arrested.

The Love


In 1979, after he came out of camp, he met Tamu, through his brother Kerwin and sister Kendis. They had nothing in common, Kody was a armed robber – Tamu had a job, Kody smoked weed and PCP and drank beer – Tamu opposed to drugs and alcohol, Kody had a bike – Tamu a car. They fell for each other right away.

Kody used to drive her to her job, with her car which he then borrowed. After he left her he took out his flag, his dark sunglasses (“premeditated murder”, also known as Locs or Locos) and the gun which he put in his lap, then he buttoned the top button of his shirt and drove like crazy. Oddly Tamu was never arrested, or shot at. Probably everybody thought the car was stolen and he didn’t leave many witnesses.

When Tamu told Kody she was pregnant, he started to avoid her and when she called and gasped out that she was in labour and asked him to come to the hospital, he decided, after he had gone out and shot a Sissie (a disrespectful term for a Rollin’ Sixtie), that the gang was his life.

During the time the war with Rollin’ Sixties intensified. Despite that people are killed everyday in South Central; it was the timing and the brutality in the murders that got the gang world to notice them. With the escalation of the war, all other sets chose side and allied themselves with either Eight Trays or Sixties. The degree of aggression displayed in 1980 had never before existed.

Gang war – World war


Sanyika consider that the gang wars are no less complicated that world wars or wars fought to either oppress or liberate a country. The purposes vary, some are according to the human nature, while others are reactionary and oppressive. Gang wars are somewhere in between.

“I shot somebody else…”


Death flirted with Kody more often, either he killed somebody, saw a dead body or were shot at himself. One night when he had been attacked, and that the perpetrators instead accidentally wounded a Inglewood Family Blood who had snuck into their territory to shoot somebody, he went off on his brothers bike with a sawed off double barrel shotgun to kill a Sixtie.

The next night he was arrested for murdering another Sixtie than the ones he shot at, but how do one explain that one didn’t shoot the one being accused of, but another. After three days in Los Padrings Youth Detention the District Attorneys Office refused to prosecute the case and Kody was released.

In the end of November 1980, Eight Tray Gangsters created an alliance with Playboy Gangsters, whose territory were on the other side of Rollin’ Sixties, outside of South Central.

Wounded in battle


December thirty-first 1980, New Years Eve, Eight Trays had planned to rob Western Surplus, to get hold of guns and ammunition. The move was planned for midnight, when they were to back a truck in the store and grab as much as they could. It never happened because Kody got shot earlier that night.

Kody and Li’l Hunchy walked alongside the store, unarmed, to check out the place before they went about the robbery, when they suddenly saw three men walking towards them. Li’l Hunchy took off and left Kody alone when they got close. One of the three asked, “Are you Monster Kody?” and Kody answered, “Yeah, I’m Monster Kody from Eight Tray Gangsters, what’s up?” Then the one who asked took out a gun and shot Kody in the stomach so that he was throwed back up against the wall of the store. Before the next shot was fired Kody had thrown himself forward and was shot in his left hand as he tried to grab the fun. Kody had enough and tried to run, but were shot in the back and thrown to the ground. Numbed he tried to get to his feet, but was kicked by the shooter and fell on his back. In pure desperation he raised his legs, to avoid being shot in his upper body and received three bullets in his left leg.

The days after Kody was shot, the violence increased dramatically, so much that two cops from CRASH (Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums) came to the hospital and asked Kody to stop it. To be sure they striked back on whoever shot Kody, the set’s soldiers attacked all sets they had beef with, especially Rollin’ Sixties who celebrated (they thought Kody had died) and therefore were appointed as guilty.

The cast, the salvation from prison


Before Kody’s wounds had healed, he was caught for murder and attempted murder he wasn’t guilty of. But until the trial he had to accept being locked up behind bars. He won the trial, despite of numerous of eye witnesses, all Bloods, because they said he held the shotgun he supposedly used, with both hands, without gloves, when his left hand, up to his elbow, actually where in cast and there where medical evidence of it.

Stop gangbangin?


Kody had reached so far in his commitment for the set that quitting was impossible. The “cant stop, won’t stop” mentality were so deeply rooted it could be. To just quit is like “just say no” to drugs, or tell a homeless person to “just get a home”.

Wounded, again…


In the middle of 1981 Kody were shot a second time, but this time by a single bullet that didn’t make a lot of damage. Even though it took more than one hour from the shooting to medical attention, he could leave the hospital the next day, after only been at the hospital over night for observation.



At the end of 1981 Kody and his homeboy Crazy De were accused and sentenced for robbery they had not committed. But they had committed so many other robberies and acts of violence that they should be pleased with it. Kody go a four year sentence, De five. Kody were still a minor and therefore he was sent to Youth Detention. De was sent to State Penitentiary. The management of the Youth Detention he were sent to didn’t want Kody there because of his reputation and sent him to Juvenile Hall, where the surveillance is harder.

Juvenile Hall looked like a College campus, with a normal size football field (American Football), surrounded by a four-hundred-forty yard track. On one side where bleachers and behind them a gym with boxing rings. At the other side where a big gym with weights and a full-sized basketball court. Next to it a swimming pool.

What looked so good on the outside were, like much else, horrible inside.

By 1983 Kody had finally reached the third level of reputation, O.G. (Original Gangster). Everybody in the gang world knew about Monster Kody, from the police to the courts, Crips to Bloods, Youth Detentions to Death Row. Kody’s O.G. status, combined with mafia style gangbangin, made it very had to get to him.

At Juvenile Hall he lifted weights and grew huge. His upper arms were twenty-two inches and a quarter. He bench pressed two-hundred-ten kilos. The size increased his image as Monster and he used it as often he could.

1983, the gangster year


1983 were Eight Tray Gangsters year and there were plans for a gangster ceremony with bloodshed. But the set were in ruins 1983. the fighting soldiers who weren’t locked up or dead, were paralysed of lack of motivation. This was compensated by attacking Rollin’ Sixties at the Juvenile Hall. Also, Eight Trays mascot (Li’l Spike were the neighbourhood pet) Opie, had been killed by Sixties.

Muhammad, the first meeting


There where twenty-three Eight Trays at the institution. To be able to strike simultaneously they held a meeting at the Muslim service. The only place where they could gather without being exposed by the staff. While the Muslim’s showed a film about the slavery, Eight Trays held their meeting, but during Kody’s speech the lights were turned on and the projector turned off. Hamza, one of the two Muslim ministers, were angry and told them that they disrespected the service with their “women’s chatter”. Naturally Kody protested and explained that they were no women, but gangsters. Hamza then told them they could leave, which they did, and got into trouble because of. But the day after they found out that the Muslims had confirmed that they were allowed to leave and everybody were let out of their cells(where they had been waiting fro an explanation from the Muslims), besides Kody, who sat in the Rock, an extra hard guarded ward.

When Kody the week after sat and waited in the waiting room outside the infirmary, Muhammad, one of the two Muslims, came in. Kody felt he had to apologize because they disturbed their service and thank the Muslims for confirming what they said. But Muhammad claimed they didn’t disturb at all and that he didn’t want to help the pigs (the police, guards, the management at the institution) to lock them up. Before they separated Muhammad gave Kody a lampoon, A Message To The Oppressed, which began with a quote by Malcolm X. although Kody didn’t understand everything written in the lampoon, he was impressed by the heavy language and tried to work out how he could fit his enemies in the context. Later Kody started to attend the Muslim services and got his brother, Li’l Monster to join him. The two brothers soaked up every word when Muhammad told them the reality, that they were self-destructive. Kody spread the message that all Crips should attend and hear Muhammad speak at the Muslim services.

The big attendance at the Muslim services led to that the protestant services became empty. At the same time the violence between the black inmates decreased in the institution dramatically. The management naturally wondered what the reason was. The services were visited by staff, but they didn’t understand the gang members’ attraction to go there. Like gang war, Islam is a way of living and Muhammad didn’t urge anyone to be passive, instead he told Kody and everybody else who listened to “hold out”, “stay armed” and “stay black”.

Mr. Hernandez who were in charge of the gangbangers in the institution started to ask around among his informers, which led him to Kody

One day Mr. Hernandez called Kody to his office and told him that he called him there because he understood that Kody tried to “undermine the institutions security”. Something had to be wrong, only because all Crips, roughly eighty soldiers, visited the Muslim services.

In prison Kody were greatly affected by Muhammad’s teachings, which he never had been on the street. The message fitted perfectly on Kody’s oppressed situation on the Rock.

Even though he felt the strength in what Muhammad taught, eight years of development in the Crips couldn’t just disappear because of a lampoon and a few visits at Muslim services.


The first book Kody got for himself were Soul on Ice, by Eldridge Cleaver. The book were actually to difficult for him, but he liked what he understood, that it was militant.

Eventually Kody were moved from the Rock to ward three where he met Walter Brown, who himself had been there as an inmate during the sixties and at this time worked as an teacher but better functioned as a guide. Brown was militant and responsible, and had a big influence over most of the O.G.’s. Like Muhammad, Brown had a huge influence over Kody and his development, but it took a couple of years for him to realise what they had given him.

The strongest black men Kody had known till date was gang warriors. Verbal conversation had been completely unknown and uninteresting. Shoot first and ask the survivors after. The tools of communication were guns. The ones that were liked weren’t shot. The ones who were disliked, were hunted, in needed, and shot – period. It was all Kody had known for many years. Words couldn’t replace guns when it came to communication. But now, he was completely engulfed by Muhammad’s and Brown’s spoken words, and Malcolm X written. This was Kody’s first meeting with black people who could kill with words.

The muslim services were held on Mondays by Muhammad and Hamza, but one Mondy when all participants came there, another “muslim” where there. He didn’t look like the other muslims they had know. With Jheri-curls, that dripped of “radioactive waste”, a members only-jacket, grey polyester pants and black Penny loafers, they all knew, as soon as they saw his clothes and “deep fried” hair, that they were undermined. Muhammad had been stopped from coming back to the institution. He and Kody stayed in contact though and he sent a lot of literature. Although Kody’s brain still was dominated by a gangbanger’s mentality, he started to think about right or wrong, immediately as soon as he done something. The difference wasn’t big, but can’t be discarded.

1983, Kody, Diamond and Superman, decided they should get tattoos. In August Kody tattooed ETG (short for Eight Tray Gangsters) on his neck. A sign of Eight Trays year.

Back on the streets


March seventh, 1984, Kody were pardoned from Juvenile Hall and were picked up by his mother and Tamu (who he had a daughter together with, but never had met). By the time of Kody’s pardon he was not only big, he was enormously big, and the muscles were swelling everywhere.

In South Central everything was like before, but most of the shooters were incarcerated. Despite that the sets number of members had increased many times, most of the members were passive and not fighting soldiers. Besides, most of them were complete strangers to Kody.

In difference to the other times Kody had come out from any of the American justice system’s institutions of freedom depriving, he had gone out to kill the enemy right away, now he got out to eat dinner with Tamu.

The gang wars weren’t quite so intense when Kody were released as it were before; when among others he kept up the devastating violence. 1984 the drugs had begun to invade Los Angeles, more and more people tried to support themselves by selling drugs, Kody also got into this field. He also got hold of a gun, which also started to make its way into the city larger volumes (later the weapons came in crates from all over the world).

After coming out to freedom, Kody met his daughter, Keonda, for the first time. They played together and became friends. The father ship had not yet sunk in to his consciousness. All he knew for sure were that he had to provide for her. He took a job a friend of his mother offered him, but he quit only a couple of days later. The drugs paid more, it fitted better to the gang life and no enemy would ever see him work (Monster Kody working, not many would believe it, but!).

Kody’s road dog, Crazy De, was still incarcerated, like most of the soldiers who were still alive. So he started to hang out with Gangster Brown and Tracc, who he had the most in common with. Because Brown and Tracc still smoked PCP, so did Kody.

Together they were doing a lot of drugs, but Kody felt that it broke him down and when Stagalee came out of prison, he started to hang out with him instead. That way he cut back on his PCP abuse. Stagalee had never been one of the fighting soldiers. Together with Kody he was a tragedy waiting to happen. Kody and Stagalee became good friends.

Even after Kody were released, Muhammad kept in contact. Muhammad still gave Kody literature, among others Black Panther Leaders Speak and Malcolm X Autobiography.

Muhammad inspired, like nobody else, Kody to search for the truth.


On the street Kody kept living by the gangs customs. Eight Trays were allied with all Hoover sets, which had created “Hoover Connection”, a dynamic project. Their centre point was eighty-First Street. Any day, at any time, one could find somewhere between two- and three hundred Hoovers. Hooverland were in the centre of South Central. Everybody were armed, in plain sight and at night it made the movie New Jack City look like a small boys club.

Kody were an honour member of Eleven Deuce Hoovers. Together with Hoovers, Gangsters chased Sixties. For more than a week rumours of terror and mayhem spread.



According to rumours a syndicate were being created on the West Side and there were plans to get rid of Kody because he was a problem.

The violence continued and Kody started to feel tired. The set didn’t give him the same sense of satisfaction as before. To Muhammad he said, “Lately all I have wanted to do is check into the cemetery and sleep” (quote from his Autobiography). He felt tired, overloaded. He didn’t know then what it depended on, but later he understood it was his conscious struggling after all false steps according to the human ethical code. Also his subconscious were troubling him, the time is out. “You

Re to old”, “You can’t move as fast as you used to”, “You’re starting to slip up”. This life was all he knew and didn’t want to hear anything like that.

Kody was nineteen years old, but felt like, at least, thirty. A bullet did no longer seem like a terrible way to die of. He didn’t know what to do. Something that was as satisfactory as the gangbangin had been, was needed for him not to go under. The gangbangin had thought him that he liked fighting for something.

September twenty-seventh it was time to go to prison again. A group of Sixties, Raymonds and Harlems had set out to kill him, but he defended himself successfully and now he was charged with assault and two attempted murders. It they couldn’t kill him, he should be locked up, as long as he got away from the streets.

There were one hundred-fifty Crips in the County prison, they had grey boiler-suits, everybody else, eighteen thousand prisoners, had blue.

In the module, 4800, all Crips lived in, a truce existed because CCO (Consolidated Crip Organization) had members spread out in the ward to keep peace. The module came to be called “Cripville” by the inmates living there.

One day, the peace was broken, East Coast were jumped by the Hoovers in the dayroom.

After that the sets were divided in East and West. East Coasts and their allies formed the East, Hoovers and their allies, among them Eight Trays and Sixties, formed the West.

One day the prison management felt they had to stir things up among the sets. The unit was dangerous. East and West were mixed in the cells.

One of the inmates in Kody’s cell, BT from East Coast, said he were connected to Crips Constitution and didn’t participate in the set trippin’. Kody himself was heading toward the thought of unity. He couldn’t expect to keep living as hard and stay alive or to avoid a lifetime prison sentence.

Crips Constitution


Due to an incident Kody’s cellmate, Fat Rat, was guilty of, both of them were sent to the hole, an extra tight guarded ward, for ten days. When Kody came back to the module things had changed. People from Crips Constitution had come from San Quentin; they were humble, calm and confident. Everybody in Crips Constitution were taught Kiswahili and when the “connected” spoke to each other across the rows, everybody listened, even if they didn’t understand what was said.

One of them lived in Kody’s cell and he asked him, Killer from 107 Hoover, about the Constitution. Killer taught Kody what they stood for and started then to take Kody aside to give him lessons. Soon everybody started to live according to the Constitutions rules and customs. Their language quickly became everybody’s language. The pigs were furious and started to harass them worse than ever. All Crips protested. But the pigs were not to be moved. Kody fought back and gave them what they deserved, but they were to many and he got beat up, and sent back to the hole again – the story of his life.

The soldiers trashed the module and attacked the guards as much as they could. Kody was charged with conspiracy, assault and arson, but the charges were dropped.

In High Power, the tightly guarded ward, Kody met the leader of CCO, Suma. Also the leader of UBN, United Blood Nation, was there. Tony Stacy, one of the leaders of CCO, told Kody that they had come to recruit him and Insane from Playboy Gangster. Kody was sceptical, but flattered at the same time. Tony said that Kody had done too much damage within Crip Nation, and either joined, or were killed, all for the best of Crip Nation.

Kody was in chock, but a couple of days later he told Tony he was ready. When Kody came back from court the next day, the Constitution laid on his desk.

One day a man by the name of Salahudin Al-Muntaquin, member of Black Guerrilla Army, BGF, came. He knew Suma well; CCO and BGF had nothing against each other. Kody and Salahudin became good friends, it was from him Kody got the name Sanyika.

The Steele cage


June fifth 1985, Kody came to the State Penitentiary, Chino, to serve a seven year sentence. As soon as he stepped of the bus, he was confronted by a Mexican. CCOs relationship with the Southern-Mexicanos, their Mafia, were, to say the least, a bit strained, they were at war with each other. But that wasn’t why the Mexican stared at Kody, they had met before. Every time Kody came to the Youth Detention and Camps, he had been there and they had become friends.

Like usual, when it comes to Kody’s prison stays, he were sent to the tightest guarded ward, Palm Hall. But this time this wasn’t enough, he was locked up in Cypress Deep Seg. A small cage, with a bar door and a steel door that, when closed, isolated him from all light. There was no light in the cell. The bed was a narrow concrete block, without a mattress. Furthermore, the cell had an abominable stench and was full of rats. A couple of days after he were locked up in there, he received a mattress.

Because he was in darkness all the time the strong light hurt his eyes. He therefore closed his eyes when he heard the guards bringing food, but one time he closed his eyes to late and the light almost blew his brain to peaces. Involuntary he moaned under the overwhelming pain. The guard who had opened, had some humanity left in his body and arranged so that he came out of this little torture cell. Soon after he got out of Deep Seg, he was sent to the prison in Soledad. There he was placed in the hole right away. A couple of days later he was let out among the other prisoners.



In Soledad was a little more than two hundred Crips. They all stuck together, CCO made sure of that. Together they all worked out and when Kody was there they co-operated with UBN, Vanguards, BGF and 415. Every time any Crip showered, another stood guard.

After a while a general knife fight broke out in one of the wings. The Northern Mexicans (who were allied with the blacks) were attacked by the Southern Mexicans (who were allied with the whites). The white population was driven into the dayroom and attacked by the black population, several whites were stabbed. One prisoner was shot to death by the guards. Later a racist guard was attacked. Kody was involved in the attack together with a few others and therefore was sent to San Quentin.



San Quentin is a hundred years older than Chino, and it shows. This time Kody got it good, only double security.

Here the real change seriously started. Before everybody who didn’t know him, he introduced himself as Sanyika and told them who knew him as Monster to address him with his Kiswahili name, that mean “the one who unite, the one who gather one’s people”.

In San Quentin he polished his Kiswahili and within nine months he taught a small group. After six PM no English were spoken. Between seven AM and twelve noon they had a mandatory study period.

By this time, Tamu had managed to track down his biological father. Sanyika (that he from this point of time was called) started to write a letter but found it too hard and sent it half finished. Sanyika’s reading ability, just like his writing skills was improving. Among others he read about Fidel Castro, Mao Tse-tung, Ho Chi Minh and George Jackson. Every book they read, they got a written test of the content and wrote an essay about it. Sanyika failed so many times he didn’t think it was any fun, but he didn’t give up and with time he became on the brightest among them.

Muhammad continued to write and send literature.

All CCO members considered themselves to be communists, but Sanyika wanted to know what movement they belonged to. What was the goal as an organization, who did they try to liberate? The leader’s knowledge wasn’t enough to answer him. Nobody thought that far ahead. Sanyika took the revolutionary teachings seriously, but was furious over the fact that they only imported revolutionary ideals, which they then tried to apply in their environment. The more his conscience expanded, the clearer he started to see the deficiencies and cracks in their structure. Several incidents made Sanyika doubt. Some of the CCO members who were released, went back to the settrippin instead of trying to calm it down, that was their task.

In prison CCO got competition from BNCO (Blue Note Crip Organization) and gave uncultivated Crips an alternative to the disciplined CCO. BNCO flourished quickly. Also, all Hoovers in California left CCO and joined BNCO. This was a devastating loss for CCO, because Hoovers was the biggest part of the organization. Soon a full out war was fought.

The break up


CCO was dissolved in San Quentin 1987. They had failed. The leaders didn’t really understand what they got them selves into and missed the most important points.

Sanyikas most important contact was Muhammad who was a member of New African Independence Movement. All influences were positive. The ones that weren’t, he broke contact with.

Sanyika and Talib, who agreed with him, broke out of Crips and joined New African Independence Movement.

It took Sanyika three years to leave Crips. He found it was pretty similar to getting in. One build up ones name and deeds in relation to what one believe. His daily routines showed he was serious with his new life. He received some shit, but in all it was painless. He started to write and 1988 he finished an essay called “Where does correct terminology come from?” and it was published in one of New African Independence Movements writings.

The gang world surprised him by accepting his break up, but only after a year of devoted exercise.

To continue gangbangin, would be a betrayal to, first and foremost, his children. They were depending on him for guidance, moral and strength. Sanyika took responsibility for all evil things we was guilty of, but not proud or.



He was released on parole November 1988, after being locked up four years and nine months of his seven year sentence. The Folsom prison (where he had been locked up the last period of time) is in Sacramento and Sanyika took the plane to Los Angeles. At the Los Angeles airport he was immediately harassed by the police.

Sanyikas brother Kerwin picked him up and they went to their mother’s workplace. For the first time in his life he felt the love she gave him. On the way home to his mothers house, he was the city in different light than before. It was grey and dreary. Burnt out buildings and empty houses made up entire city blocks.

Everybody in the family was anxious to know if Sanyika was real and if Monster really were buried. Only an hour or so after coming home, old friends started showing up and asking him how it was, if he really had changed and gave him money.

Li’l Monster (who still hadn’t stopped gangbangin) told him about the change in South Central, about the drugs that ruled and the guns that came in by boat. Fully automatic machineguns, which hold twenty to seventy-five bullets. The soldiers now had automatic weapons, beepers and bullet proof vests.

Muhammad said that the capitalism had reached the gang world.

Out in the “freedom” Sanyika got a job as an office clerk and advanced to assisting loan adviser. To work wasn’t as bad as he always had thought. From the beginning the salary wasn’t big, but he took care of the ones depending on him. Tamu had moved to Rialto, ninety-five kilometres outside Los Angeles. While Sanyika stayed in the city during the week and worked, he went home to Tamu and the children (who had become more) during the weekends.

Because Tamu had joined New African Independence Movement together with Sanyika, they had become very close. They called each other daily and that’s how they coped during the weeks.

After Sanyika came out of prison he had changed his name from Kody Scott to Sanyika Shakur.

Illegal move


From a friend in the neighbourhood Sanyika and Kershaun (Li’l Monsters birth name) were given an AK-47 each for Christmas. They hold thirty bullets in the magazine and shoot ten bullets per second. The two brothers started to visit a shooting range once a week and practice with their AK-47s.

The parole officer had forbidden Sanyika to move to his family in Rialto, but he applied for a job there anyway. The police had threatened to throw him back in prison again. But he was afraid of being the same kind of father his own father had been to him. He swore to with his family as much he could. He simply had to take the risk.

The new job was right behind their house. It was a security firm owned by a black man. He guarded construction material and tools so that they weren’t stolen. His work hours, eleven PM to seven AM, gave him all day free to do stuff at home.

The last link to the gang


Crazy De, his old road dog from Eight Trays, called and asked Sanyika to visit him in prison, where he maybe would stay for the rest of his life.

Sanyika knew it would be the most painful thing he had done for a long time. Eventually De sent his mother and Sanyika couldn’t say no. Now he had to go visit his old friend.

Crazy De had been caught bare handed with a kidnapped hostage, that alone is a life sentence. He also had two murders on his conscience. He thought himself he would get the death penalty, but got a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

He still believes in the gangsterism.

When they separated at the end of the visit, De made Eight Trays sign, Sanyika clenched his fist. The last link to the set had been broken.

Political prisoner


The Los Angeles police arrested Sanyika for abuse and grand theft auto in January 1991. he had beaten up a stubborn drug dealer who sold his merchandise in Sanyika’s street corner. The auto theft was him simply confiscating the stubborn drug dealers van when he didn’t stop.

Because of his past, Sanyika could look forward to a seventeen year sentence. When he finally declared himself guilty, he got seven years.

Back in prison he was placed in solitary confinement during an indefinite period of time. There he sat for more than three years because of his political opinions and comments he had made (meaning, he was a political prisoner).

While Sanyika sat in prison, Kershaun stopped selling drugs and gangbangin, he also joined New African Independence Movement. He got a wife and kids. Now he travel around the United States and give lectures about gang wars and gang life.

Only a few months before Sanyika went back to prison, he married Tamu.

In prison he wrote his Autobiography, got a book deal and a contract to make a movie about his life. When he was released on parole the book was published and translated to different languages (the Swedish translation was one of the first together with the Spanish). Unfortunately Sanyika experienced what many other revolutionaries in the US have done and do, become to busy and missed a meeting with his parole officer. This automatically meant he would be sent back to prison. But Sanyika had no plans of going back to prison, so he simply fled. Since then he was found by the police who chased him. But he didn’t give up, instead he ran, literally over the police when they came to arrest him. This made him one of FBI:s most wanted “criminals”. At the same time the book became a bestseller and he wrote letters to the editor column of The Source Magazine, was interviewed by Rap Pages.



Since then he have been caught, last I heard he were still in prison. He is imprisoned for assaulting a police officer. November first 1998, when he came out of a apartment building two police officers drew their guns on the unarmed Sanyika and then they attacked him. He was assaulted by both of the cops and he got injuries that demanded medical attention. Because he defended his life he was accused of “assault with a deadly weapon” (his hands) and “attempted murder”. It has later been revealed that the two police officers involved, have three “excessive abuse” and/or “excessive use of force” accusations against themselves. The accusation of “attempted murder” was dropped. The Los Angeles police department was exposed of, at least, 27 lies when they tried to conceal their racist aggression against Sanyika.

March 1999 he was acquitted from all abuse charges against him. The two additional accusations “resisting arrest”, resulted in a hung jury. He was later sentenced to four years in prison as a result of those accusations.

As soon new information is available this page will be updated.

Printed facts:

Monster; the Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member, The Source Magazine, Rap Pages